Tuesday, December 26, 2006

On with what I've learned (tm)

OK, I'm going to anger some people, but I'm just trying to be honest here.

6. Spell check. I mean, really. Especially in headlines...
7. And that's even worse if you try to describe yourself as smart.
8. I love it when someone wants someone smart and successful but lists "brainiac" as a turnoff.
9. While I'm the smarts roll, when they ask what book you read last, unless you genuinely want to attract a rockhead, say something... Make up a book you read that no one would test you on. To Kill a Mockingbird, maybe. Or something about dating.
10. I'm going to revise my rules about lying. Here goes. Don't lie about something I can verify within your profile. Don't lie about something that will become obvious on our first date. Don't lie about something critical. Nothing wrong with a little spin, like listing To Kill a Mockingbird as your last book read, or saying you like taking walks. Those are ok. You are selling yourself, after all.

I want to point out that I did not knowingly lie about anything in my profile.

11. There are some categories that some people all lie--or bend the truth--on. Like the drinking question. With the categories they've described, "Drink Daily" makes you sound like a lush. Meaning that 95% of drinkers select "drink socially" as their drinking level.


On a completely other subject, not relating to dating sites, what's up with people who flirt and flirt and even talk (nonspecifically and noncommittally, but still) about doing things. And then when you get up the courage to ask them out... "Oh, I have a boyfriend, but here's my number." Variations of that have happened three times this fall. Could it be me? Sure it can. But I used to throw a "we" in there somewhere so people would get a little hint that I was involved with someone romantically. One woman and I discussed going out to dinner (again, kind of non-specifically) as part of a 2-hour conversation at a party, then gave me her number and left. I called two days later. "Oh, I have a boyfriend." What the hell? I think it should come up before the single guy you've been flirting with calls you at home. Yes, before then would be a good time.

No comments: