Friday, January 5, 2007

Time has passed

Yeah, it's been another week.

I am going to first adapt something I just sent to a friend into a post:

I am telling some people about some of my warts. Not all of them, which is a topic for later. I know some of them might be scared away. I suppose, and I mean this in the best possible way, I decided it didn't matter. I could lie and yeah, maybe if the goal was just to, you know, get some, maybe that would work because I'd just tell them what I needed to do to get what I wanted.
And, to be honest, I also don't know what I am looking for. I'm not looking for a one-night stand (although those happen in life, I guess, and I'm not opposed in principle, I'm just not seeking them, I like to get some as much as the next guy) but given my situation and my relative single-ness, I know I'm not really looking for my next wife, either. Again, I'm not opposed to that happening, either.

And, of course, it's a triple mystery... I don't know who I'm looking for, what I'm looking for, and I don't know who I've met yet. I mean, even the ones I've met, I don't really know, and I haven't grown close enough to someone through this that I've been tempted to stop coming to Match (I've kind of decided that's my definition of success on Match--to stop using it). I've met different people who've appealed to different aspects of my personality, and different needs that I have.
Some are younger than us, which is kind of fresh and exciting, but they're also, well, younger than me. The flip side of unjaded is naive. And some are older than me, which is nice if they have a settled life and we can be equals or she can even be the "carer" if that's a word in this context. Some are brainy and nerdy. Some aren't. Some are outdoorsy jock-types. Some thing "going outdoors" is not having a covered garage. Some are PhD's, others haven't, or didn't, graduate from college. It's fun teaching someone, and it's also fun to be challenged.

No comments: