Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Weather (outside): Sunny but presumably still bitterly cold
Weather (inside): Just bitter.

So, what the hell? Yes, I know I obsessed a little over the weekend, but ML doesn't know that! What I said over the weekend--two texts, three IM's, three calls, is right, and a three-day weekend to boot. And, I recall quite clearly, we said we were going to talk over the weekend, so trying to contact her wasn't like, out of the blue.

When did "independent" become a synonym for "mean" "rude" and "selfish." When did telling people about your expectations--especially, apparently, deal-killing ones--get so hard? Someone asked me once, "What are these 'games' people talk about not wanting to play?" and I didn't know how to answer, it seemed self-evident so I didn't feel like I needed an example. But now I have one. To wit:

I sent this note:
[ML's name]--
I thought I would send a note. Obviously, I'd like a response but if you'd rather not, I promise this is the last you'll hear from me.
I know it's only been a few days since we last talked, so I may just be over-reacting and you're just super busy or sick or gotten caught in a tsunami or been kidnapped by hotentots. I can be dense this way. Anyway, assuming that it's not one of those things (in which case, never mind!), I guess I'm a bit... curious.
If I've done anything in any way to scare you off, or upset you, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. We seemed to be hitting it off so well that maybe I tried to contact you too much. I assure you I'm not a crazed needy stalker lunatic guy... if I came off that way, again, sorry. If I got too personal too fast, sorry. This online dating thing, as you know, is not all it's cracked up to be... so yes, I did get excited when I met someone (finally!) who seemed both interesting and interested. If my enthusiasm was off-putting, I apologize, but, like I said, I don't really do "hard to get" and I thought we had enough in common to get along and enough differences to make things interesting. I don't say any of these things to fish for reassurance from you or to feel sorry for myself--but I'm big on honesty and feedback and so if there's something I could have done (or not done!) it would be great if you'd let me know. Or if you met someone else or just want me to calm the heck down and give you some time or...
Given all that, not sure if we can step back and try to use the "reset" button. I sure would like it. Anyway, if we don't talk, best of luck in all this.

[My name]
Because I wanted to stop wondering. Get it over with, since she apparently wasn't going to contact me. So one day we're talking about what we wear to bed and flirting and she called me "babe" and sent a text saying "You just made it into my phone :) " So I don't think I was being unreasonable in any way.

And this is what I got:
"You're a bit much for me [My name]. The phone calls, the instant messages, the text messages. I just am a really busy girl and very independant and, honestly, my biggest turn off is someone who is clingy or needy. I'm one of those girls that is quite satisified with a phone call once a week and maybe a date here and there, and then if there seems to be chemistry, great, next level. Anyway, take care, best of luck. M."
So I'm as pissed as I am disappointed. If she didn't want to talk this weekend, I didn't need to. Calling someone when you're supposed to is needy? And given that this was apparently a deal breaker, don't you think she could have mentioned it at some point????

So, I've started a third wave of contacts. Sent out about 3 or 4 emails, will send out 3 or 4 more. We'll what happens.

No comments: