Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm smarter than you

That's right, I said it. I am. I won both my NCAA pools. I haven't lost at trivial pursuit in more than 15 years. I remember minor details about people I know--enough that I've had to learn to not mention them for fear the other person will think I have an unhealthy interest in them.

I can talk at a high level about politics, history, science. I read Wikipedia for fun. I can do the Sunday Times crossword.

So why am I mentioning this? I don't know, ironically. I think it's odd that I self edit and don't mention things that I know, or even pretend I never knew them. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a college friend who mentioned that she'd gone to private high school in Pennsylvania. What I didn't tell her was that I knew that. I knew the name of the school. Oddly, though, I don't know her birthday. Uh, that's not true, either. It's in August. So that's that. Another friend was mentioning to me her college room mate, who I'd met once, 17 years ago. I remembered her name. I don't have photographic memory or anything, things just stick with me.

Of course, I can't concentrate worth a damn and my hands shake and I can't sleep and I'm lonely and all that.

No comments: